research instructionsBefore you start your application, please acquaint yourself with the purpose of the Research Scholarship, eligibility requirements, the elements that comprise your application and the review process and selection criteria.
The following information will be requested during the online application process:
- Your UWNetID
- Mailing address
- Permission to access parts of your student record and application.
- Project title, description, general dates of involvement, average hours spent per week.
- Requested award quarters (graduating seniors may request only one quarter; all others must request two quarters).
- Essay, uploaded as a PDF.
- Your essay should be a maximum of 1,200 words and a maximum of four pages. Do not exceed either 1,200 words or four pages. Essays should be double-spaced, in 12-point font or equivalent size with standard margins. In-text citations are not included in the word limit. You may include one additional page for references, images, or figures, if applicable; this one additional page of supplementary material is not included in the word limit or page limit.
- Essay prompt: In your own words, describe your research and what you and your faculty mentor hope to learn from your work. Discuss your motivations for getting involved in this research project and how this work contributes to your education and to the development of your future plans.
- Name and email address for your mentor(s).
- Print the Information for Research Mentors (PDF) letter for each letter writer, fill out the top section, and discuss with your mentor(s).
To access the online application, you will need to login with your UWNetID. Once you login, you will be able to view the research application form, input and save information, and return to finish later.
Once your application has been started, your mentor will receive a message from us requesting that a letter be submitted through the online form. If your mentor does not have access to a computer, we will accept a hardcopy. In the online application form you will be able to indicate this circumstance. Your mentor will have access to view your application. We encourage you to share a draft of your essay with your mentor before you submit your application.
Be sure to sign up for Direct Deposit to receive Research scholarship funding. If you receive need-based financial aid, it is important you learn more about how receiving a Mary Gates scholarship may affect your financial aid package.