College Readiness: Beyond The Grade
Facilitator: Brittany Ota (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Class meets: Wednesdays
- State Date: 04/09
- Time: 2-3:20pm
- Location: PAR 313
This seminar is designed as an exploration into the world of contemporary political, social, and educational issues in K-12 public schools. Further, this seminar asks students to think deeply about what it means to be college ready. How is readiness addressed and assessed in the P-20 continuum? Students will learn about pressing educational topics, issues, and questions (such as the achievement gap, Race to the Top, and charter schools) while concurrently tutoring in a local school and experiencing how these concepts play out on the ground level.
For this seminar, the number of credits a student receives depends on the number of tutoring hours completed in addition to seminar attendance. Credit and tutoring requirements are as follows:
- 1 credit: 2.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)*
- 2 credits: 2.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 20 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 3 credits: 5 hours tutoring/week (at least 40 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 4 credits: 7.5 hours tutoring/week (at least 60 hours tutoring/quarter)
- 5 credits: 10 hours tutoring/week (at least 80 hours tutoring/quarter)
*A student may opt to register for 1 credit if it means avoiding an additional registration fee. Students may also register for more than 5 credits.